Journalism & Entertainment From Farmington High School

BKTV Studios

BKTV Studios

BKTV Studios

FSD Snow Day Determination

How does Farmington notify the public about a Snow Day.
Fred Morton
Mindy Southern, Director of Communication and Innovation, is a key member of the Leadership team when it comes to getting the word out about a Snow Day.

Every school year students look forward to having a snow day. Yet as cold as it’s been outside we still have not had a snow day. But when there is a snow day Director of Communication Mindy Southern is the one to get the word out.

“Typically, I have some graphics and messages pre-designed to be ready should school get canceled,” said Mindy Southern, Director of Communication and Innovation for the Farmington School District. “Once I get a call from the superintendent, I begin adding the specific details to the designs and start scheduling them on Remind, social media, our website, etc.”

Southern uses a variety of platforms such as Remind, the website, social media, and area news outlets. For news outlets like television and radio stations, each has a specific process she must follow to get the notification posted with their outlet

“Road and sidewalk conditions could be dangerous for our students, parents, and staff,” said Southern. “ We don’t want people out on the roads if the conditions aren’t safe.”

“I know it’s exciting for many students and staff to get the message that school has been canceled so I enjoy giving them the good news. Because fewer people are here at work on those days, I often get the opportunity to get caught up on my work as well.”

“Not everyone has a warm house and plenty of food at home. Snow days aren’t good news for everyone so that part of snow days is my least favorite. Sometimes, school meals are the only hot meals some students get daily.”

Mrs. Southern doesn’t really enjoy snow days because some students don’t have what other students have Like a warm house and good food so they look forward to going to school to get those things, and when there is a snow day they don’t get that.

So far there has yet to be a snow day planned for the rest of the month of December but maybe we will get lucky In January.