The 2020 Census: Why Does it Matter?

Canva.com

April 1st is Census Day! Find out how the 2020 Census affects our school and community!

The 2020 Census is just around the corner, and with that comes the promise of data of Farmington’s substantial growth. However, why does the census matter to FHS students? There are actually several reasons, some of which include: the allocation of money to education programs, housing and community development, health care services, and job training. The census all-around makes the city of Farmington a better place, but it’s up to Farmington citizens to account for themselves.

By the middle of March, households should start receiving official Census Bureau mail with information on how to respond to the 2020 Census. One can respond online, by phone, or by mail. On April first, Census Day is observed. Every home should get an invitation to participate in the census, where they will give information as to where they live. By next year, an accurate population count should be in place, along with new accurate demographics and legislative districts.

So, why is the 2020 Census important to FHS students? Mr. Isaiah Winkelmann, an upper-level history teacher here at FHS, said his piece on the matter.

“Personally, it’s extremely important because it decides how congressional districts are drawn. Therefore affecting millions of Americans and billions of dollars worth of funding.”

When asked how important he thinks the 2020 census is to FHS students, he said: “It’s obviously important for them {refer to the first response} but I don’t think it’s important TO them. In other words, I think they couldn’t care less about it.”

When questioned if he thinks the census should be stressed and taught more to students, he said: “Absolutely! It should at least be taught in every government class, if not in every social studies class.”

The census is immensely important to everyone, including FHS students. After all, the census may very well affect if Farmington gets more stores, restaurants, and more! Even more importantly, the census affects our school and the funding it gets. If you’re interested in more in-depth information on the 2020 census, click this link, this link, or this link! (Hover your mouse over the word “link” so that you can see the desired website). Let people know about the census if they aren’t aware already, and let them know that everyone counts!