Journalism & Entertainment From Farmington High School

BKTV Studios

BKTV Studios

BKTV Studios

FHS Students Soar at State Band and Choir Solo and Ensemble

2024 State Solo and Ensemble

On April 25, 2024, the State Solo and Ensemble competition for band and choir students in Missouri auditioned in front of judges to get a bronze, silver, or gold rating. The competition is held at the University of Missouri-Columbia and lasts all day. The State Band and Choir Solo and Ensemble competition of 2024 has concluded, prompting reflection on the hard work of teachers and students to get there.

To qualify for state, band and choir students must prepare rigorously for months before competition and get a high enough grade in the district audition to receive a state audition.

During the district audition, band and choir students are evaluated by judges and must receive an exemplary grade to qualify for the state competition.

“Students are judged on instrument-specific technique, accuracy, and musical elements,” explained Claire Naes, the Farmington High School Choir Director.

Claire Naes commends her students for their strong efforts towards competition.

“I am very proud of all of the students who went to State this year,” she said. “This takes work and effort outside of class time, and these students should be commended for their efforts and achievements.”

Nevaeh Parker, a choir student at FHS, recalls that preparing for the competition was the most challenging part, as her ensemble had to tackle a difficult piece that was both vocally and technically demanding. Furthermore, they performed an Italian song that was particularly difficult to memorize.

Despite these obstacles, Parker and her team put in a lot of effort and ended up having an enjoyable time at the competition. Parker is proud of her hard work and feels grateful for her talents.

“It was really difficult, but I’m glad I participated,” Parker said.

After months of preparation, students are ready for the audition, but most of the band and choir students are nervous, making it easier to notice mistakes.

One of the students, Evan Clowdus, an FHS freshman auditioning on the trombone, reflects on the stressful audition process.

“The audition process is a little weird because there is just a couple of judges watching you play,” Clowdus states. “It’s different from a normal concert because it’s way more noticeable when you make a mistake.”

Elliot Naes, the FHS band director, shares the joy he feels about providing the students the chance to experience going to state.

“It gives them the chance to shine individually and show off their talents,” Elliot commented. “The judges at this event are often college professors of a band instrument at surrounding state universities so the feedback is high quality as well.”

Although the process of participating in State is often stressful and difficult, participating students come out of it with memories of the fun experiences they had.

“Staying at the hotel with the band; we had fun there. I also liked going around the Mizzou campus and watching other people play,” Clowdus reveals.

“Driving up to state and going to the restaurants, since I got to bond and get closer with members from choir and band,” Parker said.

Nevaeh Parker and Evan Clowdus left State with stronger friendships, new experiences, and pride for their hard work. The gold ranking they received as recognition for their achievements adds to the already unforgettable memories they made. 17 solos and seven ensembles left with gold rankings, 18 solos and six ensembles left with silver, and three solos and one ensemble got a developing ranking proving how many talented and persevering students are at FHS.