Journalism & Entertainment From Farmington High School

BKTV Studios

BKTV Studios

BKTV Studios

A Celebration of Black History Month

Image+courtesy+of+Curriculum+Nacional+
Image courtesy of Curriculum Nacional

Black History Month celebrates the achievements of African Americans throughout history. During this time, people have the opportunity to educate themselves on the richness of black history. Many of the great cultural icons and influential figures of the community are celebrated and acknowledged during this time of Black recognition. Black History Month has an impactful history.

In 1926, Carter G. Woodson, a scholar, established ‘Negro History Week’, which was the second week of February. This week overlapped with the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass, both pioneers of the freedom movement. Eventually, this week blossomed into what we know today as Black History Month. (NAACP).

Samuel Shaw, coach and paraprofessional, was asked what Black History Month means to him, being an African-American himself.

“Black history holds deep significance for people of color as it commemorates the struggles, achievements, and contributions of Black individuals throughout history, Shaw explained. “It serves as a reminder of resilience, cultural richness, and the ongoing fight for equality.”

On May 17, 1954, the Supreme Court ruled in the case of Brown vs. the Board of Education, that American schools would no longer be segregated. This is just one example of how African Americans have fought for equality throughout the course of time.

As it is crucial to be aware and understand the depth of black history, there are many ways that non-people-of-color can educate themselves.

“Listening, learning, and being open to diverse perspectives are essential steps in fostering understanding and empathy,” said Samuel. “Non-people of color can educate themselves about Black history and culture by reading books, watching documentaries, and engaging in conversations with people from the Black community.”

Coach Shaw has made some excellent achievements himself as the Boys A-Team Basketball Coach at Farmington Middle School.

“Recognizing the achievements and struggles of the Black community helps promote awareness and understanding,” Shaw expressed. “I recently made history coaching 7th grade boys basketball by winning the Regular Season Conference and Conference Tournament three years in a row.”

Learning the depth of Black culture, educating yourself on Black History, and making an effort to support the Black community are all great ways of discontinuing inequalities. In addition, there are a plethora of ways to effectively support the Black Community.

“To honor Black history, individuals can participate in events, amplify Black voices, support Black-owned businesses, educate others, and engage in discussions about racial equality,” said Samuel.

Here are some resources to help further your education of Black History provided by Brock University.

https://brocku.ca/human-rights/learn-and-educate/