Journalism & Entertainment From Farmington High School

BKTV Studios

BKTV Studios

BKTV Studios

Elk’s November Student of the Month

Kate Northern is a senior at FHS and a model student who participates in many of Farmington’s clubs and activities. Northern was recognized for all of her hard work and dedication to our school when she was selected for Elk’s Student of the Month for November.

Each month, The Elk’s choose an FHS student to be student of the month. The student of the month program is sponsored by the Elks Lodge in an effort to bring recognition to outstanding youth in the area. Teenagers or students of the month are selected by a panel of youth in each participating high school within the jurisdiction of the sponsoring Lodge.

“Being Elks Student of the Month feels like the culmination of all my efforts, through all of my clubs and relationships with my peers and teachers. My nomination for the position is a recognition of the time I spent collaborating with others.”

Northern feels that it is important to explore your options while in high school. She also believes that your time with friends and family should be cherished while you are young.Northern excels in many clubs and activities. Three of her favorites are Robotics, Scholar Bowl, and FBLA.

“Don’t feel like you need to do everything, especially with extracurriculars! If you’re worried about not liking something, try it, and if you’re not satisfied, do not be afraid to quit. Your personal life, and your time with your family and friends are things that you will never get back when you’re young, but you can always try something new in the future. Push yourself, but allow yourself the freedom to find what you really like.”

After graduation from high school she plans to work in Mathematical Physics. As Student of the Month, Kate will receive a $100 savings bond and will compete for the Farmington Elk’s Farmington High School Student of the Year to be awarded in May.