Day Of Silence

Mrs. Black

Students of Embrace Equality gathered to begin Day of Silence.

Every year since 2011, Day of Silence has been held on the second Friday in April. It originally started in 1996 by a group of Virginia University students. They named it GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network) to bring recognition to the torment and trouble these young adults experienced for being LGBTQ+. It was first created just as a class project, but then over 150 students participated that year. By 2001, GLSEN became an official organizational sponsor with new funding, staff, and volunteers. This day occurs to spread awareness about the effects of the bullying and harassing of the LGBTQ community.

This year, Day of Silence is held on Friday, April 22nd. This day is to show how LGBTQ members are mistreated, degraded, and silenced as people. A group here at FHS called “Embrace Equality” is a student-led group available to all people who may just want a place to feel welcome or feel like they have support. Embrace Equality and Day of Silence are student-led and related, both with the leading of Makiah Wyatt. Makiah Wyatt states “Our main goal is to be a safe space for anyone and everyone regarding sexual orientation, race, gender identity, and all kinds of stuff”. They also add that there are no requirements so if you are a student at FHS who may be interested in joining this group, you can talk to Makiah Wyatt or Mrs. Black.

A study in 2013 found that every four in five LGBTQ students have experienced and/or reported sexual harassment at school and 84% of that 5 have reported missing at least 1 day of school because they feared their personal safety. Day of Silence gives students all around the world a chance to stand up against the bullying, harassing, torment, and fear students within highschools pursue against the LGBTQ community.

Day of Silence is held once each year to bring awareness to topics that many people may ignore. Things like suicide rates and homelessness have occured within people in the LGBTQ community for that reason. This is a day to protest the harmful effects and actions being made towards LGBTQ students in school. Students who wish to participate at FHS will have a meeting in ‘Embrace Equality’ first thing in the morning. Many people in respect for this day may wear multi-colored t-shirts, stickers, temporary tattoos, and rainbow attire. With a day of silent protest, students can recognize the significance of this day, and can embrace who they are.