A Night To Dream

Canva

A Night to Dream, what is it? How can you get involved?

This is a night to celebrate students who don’t often get celebrated. It makes them feel special and appreciated which is something that every student deserves

— Cassie Widdows

A Night to Dream is an event being organized by Mrs. Scott and Pastor Rocky Good of New Heights Church for students in the special education program. It’s primarily a prom, but there are some extra special treats added. Mrs. Scott shed light on the specifics of this.

At the beginning of the night, the students will arrive with their buddies in a limo. They will then get to walk the red carpet while paparazzi take photos and videos of them and the crowd holds up signs. Afterwards, they’ll walk inside to the dancefloor. If students need a break from the semi-overwhelming nature of a dance, there will be a side room with games and things for them to do. Mrs. Scott believes that the main goal of this event is to make these students “feel like rock stars”.

Though, Mrs. Scott and Pastor Good can’t do this alone. They’re in need of student help. Students can volunteer to help primarily by being buddies. Being a buddy means you will accompany the student throughout the night, help them get where they need to be if needed, and generally be a friend and experience the night with them. Additionally, students from BKTV or Journalism classes are welcomed to come film or take pictures to be a part of the “paparazzi”.

To illustrate the importance of this, Cassie Widows who has helped at similar events encourages students to help spread the word and be a part of A Night to Dream. She said “Getting the opportunity to help with events like a Night to Dream is amazing. I love getting to meet new people and make connections with others. After getting to spend time with the students, I always leave much happier! It is just overall a great learning and life experience!” Cassie went on to express the importance of events like this one in saying “It is very important that students help with events like this one. This is a night to celebrate students who don’t often get celebrated. It makes them feel special and appreciated which is something that every student deserves”.

A Night to Dream takes place February 11th, so if you’re interested in helping out then act fast! Go to the LMC and pick up a sign up sheet now!