How to Balance School and Extracurriculars

School is one of the most stressful things in a teen’s life. Trying to balance schoolwork with extracurricular activities can be a big struggle. So how is a teenager supposed to keep up with everything? Here are some tips on how to manage both schoolwork and extra curriculum.

1. Use a calendar.
    On every Chromebook, there is a Google Calendar app. It’s easily accessible and it sends reminders for events ahead of time. It also may be useful to get an on the go planner to handwrite down events or reminders.
  2. Make a schedule
    Like using a calendar, a schedule can help remind you of events and plan ahead of time. It will also help you not double book anything and help ease a little stress
    Don’t sign up for too much
    Many students have an issue where they want to do everything. It’s not a bad thing, it’s great to be excited about clubs or sports, but when they’re overbooked, that’s when problems start to spur. According to Kaitlyn Boeckmann, a freshman at FHS, “I would say one can only handle two sports at a time because that’s how many I can do and still stay on top of my work.”
  3. Ask for help
    As teenagers in high school, it may be difficult to ask for help. Many students are trying to prove that they can be independent, but sometimes it doesn’t hurt have a little help. Whether it’s on an algebra question or some advice on how to manage time better, it can be beneficial to ask a teacher, a parent or a guardian for help.
    Sometimes school can be very boring, overwhelming, and just feel like a waste of time, which is why extracurricular activities are important. They give students a chance to have fun in high school and find people with the same interests. They help students survive high school, which, in the end, that’s all that matters.